October 21st to 25th, 2019 is School Bus Safety Week!
This year's theme is: RED LIGHTS MEAN STOP!
Did you know??
More than half of LSSD's school bus fleet is equipped with cameras to assist in our reporting of motorists who pass our buses while red lights are flashing. We are actively working to equip the entire fleet as quickly as possible.
Number of passing violations reported to RCMP:
2017-2018 school year = 62
2018-2019 school year = 104
2019-2020 school YTD = 15
Highest volumes are in the following areas:
- PTH 9 south between Selkirk and St. Andrews
- PTH 9 north between Selkirk and Clandeboye
- PTH 9 by-pass around the west side of Selkirk
- McPhillips Rd (PR 230) south from Selkirk to St. Andrews Airport
- PTH 8 south from PTH 67
- Sophia St (Selkirk) in front of Robert Smith School, Ecole Bonaventure and Ecole Selkirk Junior High
To learn more about safely passing school buses click here.