In September 1907, voters of the Selkirk School District decided by a 97 to 7 margin to spend $11,000 upgrading the Central School and building the South Ward School. The single-storey, two-room building was situated on the west side of Main Street in Selkirk, just north and immediately across from Grain Avenue. Two years later, voters overwhelmingly approved a grade re-alignment whereby the South Ward School was used exclusively for high school grades.
In May 1949, construction of a new $150,000 school building got under way with the award of a contract to the Leitch Construction Company. A cornerstone laying ceremony followed on 15 July, performed by Minister of Education C. Rhodes Smith and School Inspector H. E. Riter. Also present were Attorney-General and former School Board Chairman James Osborne McLenaghen, Acting Mayor Stefan “Steve” Oliver, School Board Chairman Charles Harper, ex-Chair Ruth Caroline Hooker, Chamber of Commerce President F. L. Bishop, Reverend S. Olafson, and Reverend R. S. Montgomery.
The single-storey, eight-classroom facility, designed by Winnipeg architect Edgar Prain, featured an auditorium, home economics classes, and manual training departments. The new building, set further back from Main Street and behind the original structure, opened in early January 1950. The old building was later demolished. An expansion of the west side occurred in 1976.
A contest held by the School Board selected the name “Daerwood” submitted by Barry Gordon, son of Selkirk Mayor William E. Gordon.
Follow this link to read more: http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/site...