Link to Physiotherapy web page
The Lord Selkirk School Division employs one part time physiotherapist as part of the Student Services Centre team. The physiotherapist also works as part of school teams to provide therapy programs for individual children, or assist with input for programming for groups of children. The physiotherapist completes assessments, provides recommendations and monitors ongoing programs. The physiotherapist often trains and supports school staff members to carry out programs and may assist with a child’s IEP in the appropriate domain.
A child’s school team will make a referral to Student Services Centre for physiotherapy services. Parents/guardians are asked to provide consent to have the physiotherapist work with their child, and for sharing information with other service providers that work with their child if required.
PT Services May Include:
- Assessment and exercise programs for catching and throwing, jumping, running and balance.
- Exercises for flexibility and strength.
- Assessment of overall coordination.
- Mobility within the school and community, like walking and using a wheelchair.
- Physical Education and leisure activities-helping to modify games for success and fun.
- Specialized equipment needs and training of staff members in the safe use of equipment.
- Provide input to teachers regarding gross motor programming for classroom based activities.
- Work with physical education teachers, teachers, and educational assistants, to enhance programming for students with disabilities.